Ten Tips on Painting:
Lessons Learned in Civita Castellana, Italy
I met Laura when I was in Italy this summer, when we shared the same apartment building. She is an incredible artist and I enjoyed having long conversations with her about art and life. Today on my blog, she shares ten important painting tips she learned after a month of painting in Italy. I've included the tips with eight of her stunning paintings.
Check out more of her work at lauravahlberg.com !
1. Composition wins over content
2. Reality begins after 3 large simple masses are the correct value, chroma, and temperature.
3. Ask the motif.
4. A painting is a radical commitment to an idea
5. All colors must either be in the light world or the shadow world.
6. Humans have hunters' eyes to see in the dark. When we look into a color our eyes automatically lighten the color. Squinty peripheral vision shows us a more accurate color read.
7. A painting is a box of light and air
8. Color relationships are the most exciting